Monday, December 3, 2012

Week 10: Ranma 1/2



For this week I decided I wanted to re-read some Ranma ½ manga. In High School I adored this manga to death, its just so incredibly easy to read, for a few reasons. Firstly the layout of panels is just straightforward and direct and used to the purpose of the easiest readability, even within the compositions of each panel is all to focus attention and move your eye through the page, for example the image below. But by far the best thing about Ranma ½ is the fact that is relatable to younger audience... not because we are turned into the opposite gender when doused in cold water but because of this humor that she incorporates. I feel like she takes comics very seriously but also likes a good laugh. I guess what I’m saying is that each character has an extreme personality. The fiery tomboy who hates men more than anything, her soon-to-be-fiance who change into a girl when doused with water, and the overly dramatic jealous stalker kid. These personalities scream conflict that is interesting for young audiences. Basically this story has got it all; the couple who hates each other, but is destined for romance, naked ladies (men?) and underlying gay romance. There is something for everyone and thats why I feel this manga is working in the right way. On top of it She adds little humorous things here and there, so even if you can’t find something you like about it, you are at least laughing hysterically at the pure ridiculousness. To the right are just two of the many panels I busted a gut on. The characters really are funny and will always recommend this manga to people because of it. Overall this week was a success i’m glad I was able to look upon Ranma ½ again. Everything about Rumiko Takahashi’s work is fantastic and I’m glad she was given a chance to do this manga.

No comments:

Post a Comment