Monday, December 3, 2012

week 14: Lenore

This week I tried to read Johnny the homicidal maniac, but failed within a few pages. I don’t know why I am even surprised that something called Johnny the HOMICIDAL MANIAC had such strong content, but I watched Invader Zim and was expecting a similar feel. Well surprise to me that was not the case. Moving along I remember my friend in high school (who had also read JTHM) told me about a comic called ‘Lenore’ which has a similar style to Jhonen Vasquez. I gave it a shot and am happy to say the content is much more to my liking. I have lately come to discover that I tend to like comics that are made up of sets of one 1 to 4 pages, and that is exactly how this comic is set up. As for genre its kind of bizarre and similar to JTHM and Invader zim just much more tame. All of them also tend to make twists in plot that are unexpected/ a 180 to what you expect to happen and several even have 2 twists, meaning that there will often be punchline after the twist to round out the story. One story from the pack that really stands out in my mind is one called Kung-fu Sloth. You can probably guess what this story was about but the last panel was the sloth being very upset and slowly pulling out his sword while a pack of thugs pillage his town. Basically those  are the kinds of stores that fill this book, just random bits of stupid things. Surprisingly I read through the whole thing in 20 minutes and I think because it was so easy to get finished is what makes me feel like these kind of comics are the kind I prefer reading.





No comments:

Post a Comment